Monday, December 12, 2011

Brand new Renaissance Carmel or Crowne Plaza Downtown INDY?

I%26#39;m still a bit stuck. Since it%26#39;s been recommended , I am leaning toward staying downtown , walking the Canal, Circle Mall etc, then driving up to CArmel for their artistic district/Clay Terrace. Perhaps some walking along Monon Trail too. I%26#39;m a nature lover,outdoor fitness enthusiast, so have been enjoying all the gorgeous colors of fall. My friend is interier designer and likes to shop/good restaurants. we%26#39;re 2 ladies mid 40%26#39;s simply wanting to hang out, time to relax,maybe a spa service, and perhaps nice Martini bar/wine bar; nicer dining (we%26#39;re visiting on mon and tues nts, so probably not live music weekdays? We are both married, so not that much into night life, but read something about place called ';Slippery noodle';?.

The Brand New Renaissance in Carmel looks upscale and all new--so nice, and I got such a great price on it, it%26#39;s hard for me to decide. Add%26#39;l ideas/suggestions? Which HOtel/setting would we prefer? The rest of downtown hotels on our dates were well over 200$ nt. or sold out.

Brand new Renaissance Carmel or Crowne Plaza Downtown INDY?

Definately stay at the Crowne Plaza downtown Indy. Lots of restaurants close by and shopping. Clay Teraace is nice by only keep you busy shopping for 1-3 hours if that. Much more to do downtown and easy to walk to any destination. I also suggest the Slippery Noodle for great live blues music and food. Get there before 7 and no cover charge. Sit in the back room for the live music. Great service and drinks. Plenty of upscale martini bars at the fancy restaurants downtown to choose from.

Brand new Renaissance Carmel or Crowne Plaza Downtown INDY?

Perfect, it%26#39;s decided then! THanks Tuesdaynightpool! You%26#39;ve been quite helpful, and i think we%26#39;ll have an awesome time! I guess i was pretty fortunate that the Crowne Plaza hotel had one room left for our dates. I was concerned at first about the quality of the property, since its one star level lower than the other, but the reviews of the property are decent, i%26#39;ll just have to request a quiet room to avoid the train noise.

thanks again!


whoops, that is, thanks so much-- tuesdayPOOLnight! (o;


Glad to be of help. There are some spa%26#39;s downtown. I%26#39;m not much help in that area. (being a guy). Check out indy.org for more information re spa%26#39;s. A few good bars restaurants close to the Crowne Plaza are Ike %26amp; Jonesy%26#39;s, Claudaugh Pub, Spaghetti Factory, Ram Brewery. Only one I have been to is Old Spaghetti Factory our family loves it.


Thanks a bunch. I%26#39;ve been to a Spaghetti Factory before, and they are very good. I like the live music idea at Slippery Noodle, so that will probably have my vote, unless they don%26#39;t do live music on early weekdays. I spoke with the hotel, and they sure had lots of suggestions too, and i%26#39;ll have to check out that website too you mentioned. I think I%26#39;ve seen that in other reviews too, time for me to visit it!

Thanks again,


I work in one of the Duke building right accross from the Renaissance. Although this might be a very nice property, I would firmly suggest staying downtown. If you stay downtown anything you need will be in walking sitnce from, nightclubs to restaurants, shopping, muyseums etc. If you stay in carmel, you will have to drive everywhere.


I work in one of the Duke building right across from the Renaissance. Although this might be a very nice property, I would firmly suggest staying downtown. If you stay downtown anything you need will be in walking distance from nightclubs to restaurants, shopping, muyseums etc. If you stay in carmel, you will have to drive everywhere.


THANKS SO MUCH to all of you that have posted suggestions! I just got back this afternoon from our INDY fun, and You were ALL right! Staying downtown was the best choice! We DID love being able to walk all over the place. Such great history and beautiful architecture . Monument circle very cool! I walked into Columbia Club hotel. Great location and another beautiful building...so if I get on it sooner, maybe that could be our next spot, with a room facing the circle. Although our time was VERY brief, we walked all over downtown, the sidewalk along the River in WHite River STate Park, past the museums, over the bridge (in the rain with umbrellas) --but that was fine, bundled up, stayed dry and enjoyed the scenery of the trees, and limestone blocks/rocks along this scenic path. We crossed a bridge again, and walked next to IUPUI then all the way back downtown. Great exercise walk, then we drove up to Carmel to shop at Clay Terrace. We liked having the HIstoric Union Station, Crowne Plaza as our ';home base';. the hotel valets very willing to drive us anywhere we needed, and get picked up, but since we both LOVED to walk, only used that service once.Great to have it available though!

Enjoyed Circle Center Mall, walked all way down Mass Ave, and enjoyed spa services at ';Complexions';, Leigh Ann and Debra did GREAT job! since Studio ____ ? (cant remember the name --by MOnument Circle) was filled up for the day. We enjoyed getting Swedish massages and feet rubbed (since they were so sore from all the walking!) But we loved it!Great little art district there.

I mostly enjoyed the general feel (ambiance) of the city,architecture,little cafe%26#39;s , eateries,chocolate and ice cream shops, the people, SO MANY restaurant choices, fountains, monuments (I was impressed at the many spaces showing pride in those who have served)

Ate at PF Changs%26#39; and Champs...(spent too much $$ shopping and at the spa--decided to spend less on food) we willHAVE to go back sometime again, and check out more restaurants and visit more sites! We decided to go again next fall, a bit earlier to enjoy full color of the trees!

Meridian Avenue drive up to Carmel, was very pretty drive....great homes along that street!

Thanks again all, for your suggestions ,it was a great trip!


I%26#39;m very glad you had a great time and enjoyed our city! I didn%26#39;t think about it before, but next time you might try the local B%26amp;Bs and small Inns on the Old North Side. (The Villa Inn and Spa, Looking Glass Inn, Nestle Inn.) They are within walking distance of Mass Ave. A littl further hike to the city center, but still a nice walk.

The Villa Inn has a nice little spa and restaurant I highly recommend whether you stay there or not.

I also suggest checking out the Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA). If you come next year in September, the Saturday after Labor Day they have a wonderful art festival called ';Penrod';. The website has more info.

http://www.imamuseum.org/


THanks Tina! My friend and I have already decided we must go again next fall.....I will be sure and check out those options. I love little places with their own personality. Since my friend is interior designer, she%26#39;d enjoy the Art Museum as much as I would. I%26#39;d be torn between the art show, and going a bit later to enjoy the fall colors since sept is bit early for leaf color...but sure would be lovely weather in Sept. for long walks!

thanks again for tips!

  • child beauty pageants
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment